Collection of common terms you may come across while shopping for replacement filters for your home or business.
- ASHREA:American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) is an international membership organization founded to advance the arts and sciences of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration and related issues.
- MERV: Stands for the Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, and is a measure of a filter's worst-case efficiency performance. The higher the MERV rating, the more efficient the filter. MERV is an industry standard rating, so it can be used to compare filters made by different companies.
- HVAC: The acronym HVAC commonly refers to Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning. Some parts of the country may only have air conditioning while other parts of the country may have furnaces with or without air conditioning. This term is can be applied to air comfort systems for all situations.
- Micron: A micron is a measure of length: "1 micron equals 1 millionth of a meter". A particle that is 10 microns or less in size is not visible to the naked human eye.
- HEPA: The Letters in the word HEPA stand for High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance.