Manufacturers and RememberTheFilter.com recommend changing basic filters every 30 days and pleated filters every 90 days. This keeps your system running efficiently and the air in your home or business clean. If you don't change your filters at recommended intervals you can cause damage to your system that can be very pricey to have repaired.
The rule of thumb for standard filters is to replace them every 30 to 90 days. Follow these guidelines for pinpointing how often you should change your air filter(s):
- Single occupant without pets or allergies: 3 to 6 months.
- “Average” home without pets: 90 days.
- One dog or cat lives in the home: 60 days.
- Two or more dogs or cats live in the home: 30 to 45 days.
- Allergies or other respiratory problems: 30 to 45 days.
Other factors such as nearby construction or higher air pollution levels may require more frequent filter changes as well. When in doubt, check the filter monthly and change it when it appears dirty.
If you are shopping on RememberTheFilter.com, specific filter listings will usually list the "Filter Longevity (Months)" under the additional information tab.